Wednesday 6 March 2013

Rum Committee - F%*k Up The Party / Boozetown.

Rum Committee - F%*k Up The Party / Boozetown (Rum Committee/Bigger Than God Recordings)
A nice cartoon picture of Rum Committee drawn by
Bukioe who is also in Rum Committee.
This time I am record reviewing a rap record by a rap band from Brighton called Rum Committee. I've not heard much rap music except for there was a man called Michael who used to work in the house where I live and we used to listen to some together because that was the sort of music he likes. To help me with this record I got my friend Darren, who also comes here to the Gate, to help. Darren also likes rap music and he makes his own music where he calls himself 2Decks. Darren told me rap music comes from New York and first started out in the late seventies and it started off when a DJ called Kool Herc used to have parties in New York and he used to get MC's (which is what you call rappers) to chant over the songs and then later this became rapping. Rapping to me is very interesting because it's like talking a song instead of singing it.
            The band on this record though are not from New York because now people make rap music all over the world, even in the UK and as I said Rum Committee are from Brighton - I was interested by this because I thought it was just Americans that made rap music but I think it's very good that it caught on so that lots of different people can do it. I think it's interesting that this band are from Brighton because I like Brighton very much because it is a very good place to go to and I've been many times; I like going on the beach and to the pier and to the DVD shops there. Another thing I think is interesting is that there is ten people in Rum Committee which seems a lot but I suppose that it's a good thing to have a lot of people in your band as long as you all get along.
Pete & 2Decks with the
Rum Committee record
          The first song on this record is a very good one called F%*k up the Party, the word f%*k is a way of writing fuck without really swearing but I think it's okay to swear sometimes because everybody does it and it doesn't mean you are a bad person it just means you like swearing - I don't swear often though because I haven't got much to swear about but I don't mind if other people do. The song starts off quite slowly with a piano bit but then the drums come in and somebody starts singing (not rapping) the chorus in a dark voice and it isn't all slow any more because it goes all funky. After that comes the rapping and the chorus again and then the song goes on like that to the end. I couldn't really understand what is being said because it's very quick and i'm not that used to listening to rapping but there seems to be a lot about drinking and partying which I think is very good thing to sing about and I wish I could go to one of their parties because it sounds like they like to have a good time - Only thing is though that I don't drink much and only really drink coke when I go to parties but I don't mind other people drinking because I think drunk people are funny and I suppose I could have a couple of rum and cokes just for a change. At the end of the song is a bit that sounds like reggae where they sing "Rum Com singalong" and I think this is because the F%*K up the Party is like a singalong especially the chorus, you can hear what I mean here because there is a video you can watch:


            The song on the other side of the record (because this is just a 7" single with one song on each side) is called Boozetown and I think Boozetown must be a place where they drink a lot of booze but I think it must be a made up place though when we looked it up to see if there was a really place called boozetown we did find out about this place here which is a place that a man once wanted to make where all anybody did was drink but he didn't make it in the end - maybe this is the place that Rum Committee are rapping about.
            Boozetown starts off with a train whistle and somebody says BOOOOOZETOWN and then the rapping starts, this one isn't as fast as the last one and not as dancy so I don't really think it's a party song and maybe it's a song for playing on a train after a night out drinking. I liked the music on this one because it reminded me of the music on old westerns and I like to be reminded of old westerns cos I like them very much especially The Good, The Bad and the Ugly and Chisum. You can watch a video for this one too though this version is a bit different from the one on the record. Here is the video:

           Overall I think this was a very good single and I liked listening to it a lot but my favourite is F%*K up the Party which I like because of the swearing in it but I think Boozetown is very good too. I was interested to learn a bit about rap music and I would like to learn a bit more - I would give this record 10 out of 10.

7 comments:

  1. Hello Peter, I think your review of Rum Committee's record is great,I love Rum Committee!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there, thank you very for the compliment. I like Rum Committee very much now and have been listening to their CD at home - it's very good.

      Yours Sincerely, Peter James Kemp.

      Delete
  2. Obviously a man who knows his onions.

    Nice review Pete. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Andy, I'm glad you liked it, I like them too.

      Yours Sincerely, Peter James Kemp.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Wiz for saying that.

      Yours Sincerely, Peter James Kemp.

      Delete
  4. http://2decks.bandcamp.com/album/breakdown

    ReplyDelete