Thursday 22 September 2011

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath (Sanctuary)
This time I am doing Black Sabbath which I bought from Westfield's HMV in Shepherds Bush with the Sex Pistols CD that I reviewed last time. Black Sabbath were from Birmingham and were one of the first heavy metal bands along with Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple - I remember my sister played me a Deep Purple record in the seventies when we used to live together in North London but I forget which one it was, I liked it a lot though.
           Black Sabbath was released in 1970 and was the first LP by Black Sabbath so it is a very important record. The first song on the record is also called Black Sabbath and it starts off with the sounds you get when it's pouring down with rain and is thundering and with the noise of a church bell, it sounds very frightening. Then the guitars and drums start off and are very loud and slow and then Ozzy Osborne, the singer, starts singing about a figure in black and Satan. Satan is another name for the Devil, the Devil curses people and throws them in the fire and laughs at them, he is not a very nice person. I think he is singing about the Devil because he is a Devil worshipper and doesn't believe in Jesus - I think people who believe in the Devil are not very nice but I still like the music.
           Next song is called The Wizard and has lots of harmonica on it with the electric guitars, it is a fast, very good song about a wizard who makes people happy by casting good spells, If I could do magic like a wizard I would help people out especially people who believe in the Devil because they need help, I would probably cast a spell to make them happier.
           After The Wizard is the third song which is called Behind the Wall of Sleep and is about sleeping, I think, and after this is a song called N.I.B. This song starts off with some bass and then the singing and electric guitars and drums start, it is a very good rocking song and Ozzy sings about being Lucifer which is another name for the Devil, he also sings about being in love so it is a song about the Devil being in love; I don't think it would be nice to be in love with the Devil because he is wicked and does bad things to people. Next song is Evil Woman and in it Ozzy sings "Evil woman, don't you play your games with me" so it is a song about a not nice lady who is probably messing him around maybe by taking his money or shouting at him. I've never had a girlfriend in my life but if I was with a woman who messed me around like that I think i would leave her and find another woman who was nicer to me.
            The next song starts out softly with an acoustic guitar and Ozzy singing about red skies and soft breezes in the trees, you can also hear a jews harp which is a metal instrument you put in your mouth and play with your fingers like in this video:
After this quiet bit the electric guitars come in but there is no more singing this leads into the last song with is called Warning. This is another song about bad relationships, Ozzy is singing about a woman who is going to leave him and how sad sad this makes him. I think it must be terrible to have a girlfriend leave you because you would miss them being around and have no-one to talk to. This song then has a very long guitar solo in it played by Tony Iommi who is a very good guitar player, then Ozzy starts singing again for a bit about his relationship, this is a very good way to end the record.
           Overall I think this is a very good record that I think would be best played at night-time at a party - I would give it 10 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment